An Architectural Survey of the "Mufti's House" in Qālūnyā/Motza
- Journal of Eastern Mediterranean Archaeology and Heritage Studies
- Penn State University Press
- Volume 9, Numbers 1-2, 2021
- pp. 85-115
- Additional Information
- Purchase/rental options available:
This is a report of an architectural survey of the "Mufti's House" in Motza/Qālūnyā, Israel. The data is primarily drawn from Saidel and Erickson-Gini's 2019 survey; some information is also drawn from Mashiah's fieldwork in 2010. Historical images demonstrate that this compound was standing by 1906 and that it remained in use throughout the Mandate period. This compound was built using traditional Palestinian construction methods such as those described by Tawfiq Canaan. There is no obvious evidence for architectural modifications to this complex during the Mandate period. Historical records indicate that members of the Husseini family, including the Mufti, occupied this building throughout the Late Ottoman and British Mandate periods. This structure is an example of a summer or country house that was built by an elite Jerusalemite family.