All rights reserved. Published 2004
Printed in the United States of America on acid-free paper
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
The Johns Hopkins University Press
2715 North Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21218-4363
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Boyd, Anne E., 1969–
Writing for immortality: women and the emergence of high literary
culture in America / Anne E. Boyd.
Includes bibliographical references (p.) and index.
ISBN 0-8018-7875-6 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1. American literature—Women authors—History and criticism.
2. Women and literature—United States—History—19th century.
3. Alcott, Louisa May, 1832–1888—Criticism and interpretation.
4. Phelps, Elizabeth Stuart, 1844–1911—Criticism and interpretation.
5. Stoddard, Elizabeth, 1823–1902—Criticism and interpretation.
6. Woolson, Constance Fenimore, 1840–1894—Criticism and
interpretation. 7. American literature—19th century—History and
criticism. 8. United States—Intellectual life—1865–1918. 9. Canon
(Literature) I. Title.
A catalog record for this book is available from the British Library.