- Pudd’nhead Wilson’s Fight for Popularity and Power
1. The Writings of Mark Twain, Author’s National Edition (New York: Harper, 1907– 1918), V, 277.
2. George M. Spangler, “Pudd’nhead Wilson: A Parable of Property,” American Literature, 42 (Mar. 1970), 37.
3. Spangler, p. 33.
4. I would like to express my gratitude t0 the students of my American Literature Seminar, Fall 1970, whose responses to the novel helped me develop the thesis of this article. I am particularly indebted to Judith Rand who took it upon herself to synthethize the results of our discussions in her termpaper.
5. The Writings, XIV, 15. This and all page numbers included in the text refer to the Author’s National edition quoted earlier.