- International Shaw Society
Benefits of Membership—2013
Click for larger view
View full resolution
Membership in the ISS brings many benefits, but one of the chief benefits comes from providing to the ISS tax-deductible funds that can be used to support the scheduling of Shaw conferences, symposia, sessions, and seminars and the giving of travel grants to the your regard and enthusiasm for young to attend such events. In this way your regard and enthusiasm for Shaw can best be passed on. Please be as generous as you can in choosing your level of membership (see form following). For all gifts, the Recording Shaw will write your name in the Book of Life.
List of Benefits
• With paid membership, the option of a substantially discounted subscription to the hardbound journal SHAW: The Annual of Bernard Shaw Studies. Generally, it is published in the late fall. See http://www.psupress.org/journals/jnls_shaw.html.
• Eligibility for and opportunity to contribute to whatever travel and research grants and prizes the ISS offers to encourage the study of Shaw and his circle. [End Page 249]
• A discount of at least $25 on the registration fee for ISS conferences & other ISS events.
• 40% discount on the University Press of Florida Shaw Series books. A purchase code is given to members. See http://www.upf.com/seriesresult.asp?ser=gbshaw.
• Access to all levels of an ISS Homepage at www.shawsociety.org that will keep everyone informed of relevant activities and provide links to valuable research tools and to opportunities for discussion. The ISS Homepage links to the Members Page via a password available through membership.
• The latest news on Shaw doings via email, newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, WikiShaw, and a Shaw blog—such as upcoming conferences, symposia, and other meetings; theater and book notices; theater and book reviews; editorials; and much more. Serves as a listserv that invites participation. The blog is at http://gbs.shawsociety.org. The webmaster's email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The right to vote in ISS elections and referendums and the right to hold elected and appointed office and to serve on committees.
ISS Scholarships, Grants, & Prizes
As one of the principal goals of the ISS is to encourage younger generations to experience the delights of reading and seeing Shaw's works and participating in the discussion of them, the ISS offers a generous program of support in the form of scholarships, grants, and prizes, most of which are allied with particular events, such as symposia and conferences. To that end, in eight years sixty-four young scholars have been awarded ISS Travel Grants to attend the annual Symposia at the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, the first Chicago Symposium in 2010 co-sponsored by the ShawChicago Theater Company, and the Shaw Conferences in 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011, and 2012 at the University of South Florida, Brown University, Catholic University of America, the University of Guelph (Canada), and University College Dublin. If you give a minimum of $500, the grant the ISS gives with that can carry your name, if you wish. [End Page 250]
International Shaw Society
2013 Membership Form
Click for larger view
View full resolution
The annual ISS membership fee is due on January 1 of each year, regardless of when you started during the year. As the ISS is a non-profit organization, the fee is tax-deductible- in the U.S., as are gifts, and may be in other countries as well. Membership brings an optional discount subscription to the annual hardbound journal SHAW (300 pages or more) at $30 per year ($50 retail). To become a member or renew your membership or give a membership, please complete the form below and mail it with your check/cheque or money order in U.S. dollars made out to "International Shaw Society" and addressed to: ISS, P.O. Box 728, Odessa, FL 33556-0728. You can speed this process up by emailing via attachment the completed form to the ISS Treasurer at email@example.com and by using PayPal.
Questions? Email the ISS Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Circle One of the Following: 1. Renewal 2. New 3. Gift (if "Gift," who...