In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY Colorado State University was established at Fort Collins in 1870 as "The Agricultural College of Colorado" by the Council and House of Representatives of Colorado Territory. President Elmer E. Edwards and his two professors greeted 19 students for the school's first class in 1879. That same year CSU was designated as Colorado's land-grant college under the terms of the federal Morrill act. As a land-grant college die school was known as the "Colorado Agricultural and Mechanical College" until 1957 when the Colorado General Assembly re-designated it as "Colorado State University." The University is governed by the State Board of Agriculture, which is also die controlling body for die Colorado Experimental Station, the Cooperative Extension Service, the Colorado State Service and Fort Lewis College at Durango. The board consists of eight members appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate. Board member terms are eight years. The University grew slowly until the end of World War II, when registrations suddenly began increasing sharply. By 1961 student enrollment was up to 6,259. By the fall quarter of 1967 enrollment had more than doubled to 14,565. To keep pace with the explosive student enrollment growths of the 60's, the University embarked on an accelerated capital building program. The University now has more than 100 buildings with 89 on die main campus alone. Twenty-five of these buildings are less than five years old, and nearly all buildings have undergone recent remodeling or enlarging. Yet enrollment growtii has continued to more than exceed die growth of academic space. Construction continues apace. Among die newest additions to the campus Ls the Social Sciences Building, completed last fall. This classroom-faculty office building features a Learning Center furnished widi the latest audio-visual equipment. This building, which accommodates 5,000 students per hour, houses some eight academic departments. The recently opened Physiology Building is the first of a planned $17.5 million College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences complex. The second, die Microbiology Building, is scheduled for completion soon. The William E. Morgan Library, completed in 1964, contains more than 400,000 volumes and numerous periodicals, journals, newspapers, manuscripts, films and phonodiscs. The building also provides reading area for more than 2,000 students, seminar meeting rooms, graduate carrels, browsing rooms, and display areas. Today CSU operates three campuses: the main campus in Fort Collins, the 2,000-acre Foothills campus two miles west of Fort Collins, and the Pingree Park campus in Roosevelt National Forest. The enrollment in the fall of 1968 was 15,361. The faculty and staff number about 1,000 and annual research expenditures are about $13.5 million. The University is made up of 55 academic departments in eight colleges : agriculture, business, engineering, forestry and natural resources, 124RMMLA BulletinSeptember 1969 William E. Morgan Library, with Long's Peak and Mt. Meeker in background. home economics, veterinary medicine and biomedical sciences, humanities and social sciences, and natural sciences. The colleges offer various programs leading to B.S. or B.A. undergraduate degrees and M.A., M.S., and Ph.D. graduate degrees. There is also an honors program. The changing character of CSU is shown by the increase in enrollments in humanities courses. At present, 45 percent of die credit hours offered at CSU, as well as 34 percent of student majors, are in die College of Humanities and Social Sciences. In general, there is a wide interest in artistic fields such as dance, creative writing, visual and plastic arts. For example, there are 465 art majors and 150 music majors. The philosophy department is currently offering 19 courses, including many which carry five hours credit and involve multiple sections. Philosophy enrollment this quarter (Winter 1969) totals 1275. The English department, under Dr. Paul Bryant, has 432 undergraduate majors and 124 graduate students. Three journals are edited in die department : Western American Literature, the Journal of English Teaching Techniques, and Colorado State Review. The department offers the M.A. and M.A.T. degrees, and the M.A.T. is available in teaching English as a foreign language. Linguistics courses are taught by the English department. The foreign language...

pdf

Additional Information

ISSN
1948-2833
Print ISSN
1948-2825
Pages
pp. 123-124
Launched on MUSE
2016-01-06
Open Access
No
Back To Top

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.