- International Shaw Society
Benefits of Membership—2012
Membership in the ISS brings many benefits, but one of the chief benefits comes from providing to the ISS tax-deductible funds that can be used to support the scheduling of Shaw conferences, symposia, sessions, and seminars and the giving of travel grants to the young to attend such events. In this way your regard and enthusiasm for Shaw can best be passed on. Please be as generous as you can in choosing your level of membership (see form following). And there would be no objection if you remember the ISS in your will! For all gifts, the Recording Shaw will write your name in the Book of Life.
Click for larger view
View full resolution
List of Benefits
• With paid membership, the option of a substantially discounted subscription to the hardbound journal SHAW: The Annual of Bernard Shaw Studies. Generally, it is published in the late fall. See http://www.psupress.org/journals/jnls_shaw.html.
• Eligibility for and opportunity to contribute to whatever travel and research grants and prizes the ISS offers to encourage the study of Shaw and his circle. [End Page 300]
• A discount of at least $25 on the registration fee for ISS conferences & other ISS events.
• 40% discount on the University Press of Florida Shaw Series books. See www.upf.com/se-shaw.shtml. A purchase code is given to members.
• Access (by password) to all levels of an ISS website that will keep everyone informed of relevant activities and provide links to valuable research tools, such as bibliographies and databases. The ISS Homepage linking to the Members Page is at www.shawsociety.org.
• The latest news on Shaw doings via email, newsletters, and a Shaw blog—such as upcoming conferences, symposia, and other meetings; theater and book notices; theater and book reviews; editorials; and much more. Serves as a listserv that invites participation. The blog is at http://gbs.shawsociety.org. Email is email@example.com.
• The right to vote in ISS elections and referendums and the right to hold elected and appointed office and to serve on committees.
ISS Scholarships, Grants, & Prizes
As one of the principal goals of the ISS is to encourage younger generations to experience the delights of reading and seeing Shaw’s works and participating in the discussion of them, the ISS offers a generous program of support in the form of scholarships, grants, and prizes, most of which are allied with particular events, such as symposia and conferences. To that end, in eight years seventy-seven young scholars have been awarded ISS Travel Grants to attend the annual Symposiums at the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, the first Chicago Symposium in 2010 co-sponsored by the ShawChicago Theater Company, and the Shaw Conferences in 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2011 at the University of South Florida, Brown University, Catholic University of America, and the University of Guelph (Canada). If you give a minimum of $500, the grant the ISS gives with that can carry your name, if you wish. [End Page 301]
International Shaw Society
2012 Membership Form
To become a member or renew your membership or give a membership, please complete the form below and mail it with your check (cheque) or money order in U.S. dollars made out to “International Shaw Society” and addressed to: ISS, P.O.Box 728, Odessa, FL 33556-0728. If using PayPal, add at least $2.00 to cover PayPal charges and direct payment to the firstname.lastname@example.org PayPal account. Questions? Email the ISS Treasurer at email@example.com.
Circle One: Renewal New Gift (if “Gift,” who is the giver? _________)
Membership Fee: Circle whichever applies & fill in Totals:
|STEP 1—Select Type of Membership||Fee for 2012||Totals|
|1A. Standard Membership for One:||$25||$|
|1B. Standard Spousal Membership (both listed):||$35|
|1C. Standard Student Membership:||$10|
|STEP 2 —(Optional) Select a gift amount and enter to the right:||$|
|2A. Contributor: $25 to $150|
|2B. Sponsor: $200 to $400|
|2C. Partner: $500 or more (specify):_________. If your gift is $500 or more, your name may go on a specific ISS grant. Do you wish to be acknowledged in the...|