In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

/ GOT TO KANSAS CITY ON A THURSDAY, BY FRIDAY . . . ELI M. BOWER* I was lying at the bottom of a deep well in a crib slotted with iron bars. I sensed a circle of faces looking down on me. Was this a dream or was I awake? Among the faces I recognized was my wife's; she reached down to touch my forehead. As I struggled to raise my head I became painfully aware that I still had my pipe in my mouth. It struck me as odd that I should have my pipe in my mouth. I have never smoked in bed. Now my mouth was clenched around the pipe and my throat was burning. I tried to move my hand to remove the pipe but couldn't. It dawned on me that this was no dream. I was awake. A pipe was in my mouth that I could not remove. My hands were tied to the bed. I made an effort to spit the pipe out of my mouth but it wouldn't go. My eyes caught my wife's. I pleaded with her in precise syllabic enumerations , "Take my damn pipe out of my mouth." She squeezed my hand at the side of the bed and shook her head. "I don't want to smoke," I told her. The pipe felt like a hot iron all the way down my throat. I looked around for anyone else who might help. No one. As a last resort I decided to eat the pipe. I started biting down on it in an attempt to masticate it. My wife shook her head. "You must not do that," she indicated verbally. I bit, I snorted, I struggled—all to no avail. I now realized that I was tied down to the bed—hands, feet, and chest—drawn and quartered, as it were—with a pipe in my mouth that I could not remove. I left Berkeley Thursday morning to catch a plane to Kansas City. I had promised to speak to and with the folks of the Midwest Symposium on Behaviorally Disordered Children and Youth, headquartered at the Hyatt-Regency Hotel. Reservations had been made for me and I confirmed in my AAA guidebook that the hotel had an indoor swimming pool and tennis courts to boot. I had packed my swim trunks but ?Professor Emeritus, Educational Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720.© 1988 by The University of Chicago. AU rights reserved. 003 1-5982/88/3 103-0580$01 .00 Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 31, 3 ¦ Spring 1988 | 381 vetoed the tennis since I was only going to be there 2 days. I had been swimming the day before and had done a few laps of breast strokes. I noticed as I left home a slight pain over my sternum—perhaps a muscle pull from yesterday's swimming. I had expected the Bay Bridge traffic to be thinned out by the time I left at 9:30 a.m., but it wasn't to be. I inched my way along to the toll plaza, paid the 75# toll, and continued to inch along to the metering lights. I rushed away from the metering lights to get on to the bridge where I again got in line for the bumper-to-bumper ritual. By this time my chest pain was gaining sway over my traffic frustrations. I had just finished a physical with good results in such things as cholesterol, lipids, and so on. There didn't seem to be any pain in my arms. I concentrated on driving 2Vz mph for the next 40 minutes. Along the way I conceptualized my chest pains as something that would go away. By the time I got to the parking area, it was "race to the gate" time. Ego and commitment won over good sense. I spent the next 3 hours in an enclosed cabin with the growing realization that what couldn't happen to me—a walker, swimmer, tennis player, and so forth—was happening. If I were on a train I would have pulled the emergency chain and got off. I looked down—we were over Lake Tahoe and...


Additional Information

Print ISSN
pp. 381-390
Launched on MUSE
Open Access
Back To Top

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.