In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

MARKING HISTORIC SITES IN PENNSYLVANIA.23 Before the close of the meeting several members expressed their great appreciation of the services of Lucy B. Roberts to the Association. Following the report of the Nominating Committee the Directors of the Association for the ensuing year were elected. President W. W. Comfort, of Haverford College, then read his paper entitled "Some Stage Quakers," which is printed above in this Bulletin. It was interesting and, passim, diverting. Withal it was a real contribution to Quaker history. DIRECTORS' MEETING. At the rise of the Annual Meeting the new Directors of the Association met and, in accordance with the Constitution, elected officers "alike of the Association and of the Directors" to serve for one year. (See p. ii above.) Proposed Change in the Constitution. At a stated meeting of the Directors of Friends' Historical Association held First Month 15, 1925, it was determined to recommend to the members that Article III of the Constitution be amended by the addition of the words: "or by the written assent of the President, Secretary, and Chairman of the Membership Committee." This would enable the Association to elect candidates for membership more promptly,—as the Directors hold only three stated meetings each year and it is desirable to act on nominations without too much delay. This is the formal notice required by the Constitution for a proposed change, and the question will be voted on at the next meeting of the Association. Joseph H. Haines, Secretary. MARKING HISTORIC SITES IN PENNSYLVANIA. A remarkable program of marking historic sites in Pennsylvania has been carried out recently under the energetic direction of Albert Cook Myers, Secretary of the Pennsylvania Historical Commission. Between Sixth Month 21 and Eleventh Month 29, 1924, ten markers were erected. Each one is worthy of an extended notice here but space prohibits more than a list of them compiled from the printed announcements. It is to be hoped that the historic addresses given by Albert Cook Myers at the ceremonies of unveiling may sometime be made available in print. Perhaps the following brief list may be useful for reference to those who delight in pilgrimages to historic places. 24 BULLETIN OF FRIENDS' HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION. Okehocking Indian Town. Marker unveiled 6 mo. 21, 1924, on the State Highway (Philadelphia and West Chester Pike), four miles west of Newtown Square, and seventeen miles west of Philadelphia. (Reported more fully in the Autumn Bulletin, 1924.) Site of Fort Littleton. One of the chain of frontier defenses of Pennsylvania in the French and Indian Wars. Built in T756 by Governor Robert Hunter Morris. Marker unveiled 7 mo. 26, 1924, on the Old State Road, a little to the east of the present town of Fort Littleton, in Fulton County. Site of Conestoga Indian Town. A town of the historic Conestoga Indians, who, unlike the Algonquian Delawares, were of the Iroquoian linguistic stock. Often called Minquas, especially by the Swedes and Dutch. Their town was visited by William Penn in 1701. Marker unveiled 9 mo. 13, 1924, in Lancaster County, four miles southwest of Millersville, on the road from Letort to Safe Harbor. Site of Captain Thomas Cresap's House or Fort. Cresap was a Marylander who settled on the Indian Lands of Conejohela and held them, 1730-1736, for Lord Baltimore against the Penn proprietors. In 1736 he was captured and carried prisoner to Philadelphia. It is said that he remarked dryly, and with unprintable emphasis, that Philadelphia was "the prettiest town in Maryland." Marker unveiled 9 mo. 27, 1924, in Lower Windsor Township, York County, four miles south of Wrightsville, and two miles east of East Prospect, on the west bank of the Susquehanna River. Site of Queonemysing Indian Town. Town of the Chief Secetareus and his people, of the Unami Group of the Lenni Lenape, or Delawares. These Indians sold to William Penn the land between Chester Creek and Christiana Creek, 12 mo. 19, 1683. This interesting Indian Town was located in a great bend of Brandywine Creek on the farm of the late Pusey P. Taylor, in what is now Birmingham Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania , just over the Circular Line of Delaware and north of the hill called...

pdf

Additional Information

ISSN
1934-1504
Print ISSN
0033-5053
Pages
pp. 23-26
Launched on MUSE
2012-04-04
Open Access
No
Back To Top

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.