Vanessa Smith . . .
is an ARC Queen Elizabeth II Fellow in the Department of English at the University of Sydney. She is the author of Literary Culture and the Pacific: Nineteenth-Century Textual Encounters (1998), and coeditor of both Exploration and Exchange: A South Seas Anthology, 1680-1900 (2000) and Islands in History and Representation (2003). Professor Smith is currently writing a book on friendship and cross-cultural encounter in the long eighteenth century.
1. Nicholas Thomas, Marquesan Societies: Inequality and Political Transformation in Eastern Polynesia (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1990), 13-15.
2. Guy-Ernest Debord, "Introduction a une critique de la geographie urbaine," Les lèvres nues 6 (1955): 1, 3; available in English online at http://library.nothingness.org/articles/SI/en/display/2.
3. William P. Alexander, "Letters" (c. 1833), 52m Mss. ABCFM Hawaii Papers, Houghton Library.
4. John Shillibeer, A Narrative of the Briton's Voyage to Pitcairn's Island . . . (Taunton: Printed for the author by J. W. Marriott, 1817), 35; hereafter cited parenthetically.
5. See Jacques Derrida's play on silva, savage, salvage, and forest in Of Grammatology, trans. Gayatri Spivak (1976; repr., Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, 1984), 108.
T1 - Crossing the Beach at Taipivai: The Psychogeography of Islands
A1 - Vanessa Smith
JF - ESQ: A Journal of the American Renaissance
VL - 51
IS - 1
SP - 105
EP - 113
PY - 2005
PB - Washington State University
SN - 1935-021X
UR - http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/esq/v051/51.1-3.smith.html
N1 - Volume 51, Number 1-3, 2005 (Nos. 189-200 O.S.)