Editor's Note: Opposite to page 407. Walter Pater, by Rebecca Lasely, 1991. Commissioned by ELT Press for dust jacket of Pater in the 1990s (Greensboro: ELT Press, May 1991). ELT Press ©
1. Letters of Walter Pater, Lawrence Evans, ed. (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1970), 161.
2. This letter to Boulton and the other five letters printed here for the first time belong to The Pierpont Morgan Library, New York. (MA 4500). Charles E. Pierce, Jr., Director of the Library, granted me one-time publication rights, on 10 June 1990. I express my appreciation to the Library and its Director and to Robert E Parks, Robert H. Taylor Curator of Autograph Manuscripts.
3. Burke's Landed Gentry, 17th Edition, 1952, s.v.
4. Quoted from Jill Hughes' letter to me, 11 December 1989; letterhead, Taylor Institution Library, St. Giles', Oxford OX1 3NA.
5. M. P. W. Boulton's works are as follows "Epigrammata numismate annuo dignata," in Prolusiones Academicae praemits annuiis dignatae et in Curia Cantabrigiensi recitatae Comitiis Maximus, A.D. M.D. CCC. XXVIII-M.D. CCC. XLII, 15 parts (Joannes Smith and J. G. Parker: Cantabrigae, 1828-42), part for 1841.
Remarks Concerning Certain Photographs Supposed to be of Early Date (London: Bradbury and Evans, 1864).
Remarks Concerning Certain Pictures Supposed to be Photographs of Early Date (London: Bradbury and Evans, 1865).
Translations of Book I of Homer's Iliad; also passages from Virgil, Aristophanes, Moschus, and Catullus, in verse (London: Chapman and Hall, 1875).
Translation of the Sixth Book of Virgil's Aeneid and Book VIII, lines 652-713; in verse (London: Chapman and Hall, 1877).
Has a Metaphysical Society Any Raison d'Être? A paper read before the Metaphysical Society, 1878 (London, 1878).
Considerations on the Subject of Solar Heat (London: Chapman and Hall, 1890).
On Solar or Stellar Heat (London: Chapman and Hall, 1891).
6. Letter from Jill Hughes, 11 December 1989.
7. Examples of these works are the following Alexander Balmanno Squire, Atlas of the Diseases of the Skin (London, 1878); Alfred Herbert Squire and Peter Squire, The Pharmacopeias of Twenty-Five London Hospitals (London, 1879); William Squire, On Sanitary Precautions Against Infectious Eruptive Diseases [a paper] (London, 1876), and Collected Essays in Preventive Medicine (London, 1887)
8. Sir Michael Levey, The Case of Walter Pater (London: Thames and Hudson, 1978), 93, 178.
9. The Letters of John Addington Symonds, ed. Herbert M. Schueller and Robert L. Peters, 3 vols (Detroit: Wayne State Univ. Press, 1969), III, 316.
10. Ibid., 318-20, 325, 331, 342, 383, 396, 398-400, 681.
11. Ibid., 289.
12. George Moore, "Avowals. VI. Walter Pater," The Pall Mall Magazine, 33 (Aug. 1904), 532.
13. Ibid., 532.
14. Letters, ed. Evans, 75.
15. Ibid, 81.
16. Morning Chronicle, 10 June 1893, 3, col. 1.
17. Karl Beckson, Arthur Symons: A Life (Oxford Clarendon Press, 1987), 41
18. Letters, ed. Evans, 87.
19. Ibid, 88.
20. Arthur Symons: Selected Letters, 1800-1935, ed Karl Beckson and John M Munro (Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1989), 33.
21. Letters, ed Evans, 90.
22. Ibid., 88.
23. Ibid., 88-89.
24. Ibid., 75. Symons's review of Pater's Imaginary Portraits appeared in TIME, 17 (Aug. 1887), 157-62.
25. Letters, 150.
26. Sir William Rothenstein, Men and Memories: A History of the Arts 1872-1922, Being the Recollections of William Rothenstein, 2 vols in 1 (New York: Tudor Publishing Co, 1935), I, 156.
27. Letters, ed. Evans, 151.
28. Ibid., 152.
29. Sir William Rothenstein, Oxford Characters. Twenty-four Lithographs . . . With text by F York Powell, and others (London: John Lane/New York: R. H Russell and Son, 1896). Before even arranging to draw Pater's portrait, Rothenstein had published Oxford Characters: A Series of Lithographs (London: the Bodley Head, 1893).
30. Frederick Macmillan to Miss Pater, September 20, 28, October 15, 17, 1894, in the Macmillan Archive Letterbook 74 (55445), Vol. II, 728, 823, Vol. III, 1096, 1143.
31. Rothenstein, Men and Memories, I, 157.
32. Robert Speaight, William Rothenstein: The Portrait of an Artist in His Time (London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1962), 59.
33. Quoted in Rothenstein, Men and Memories, I, 157