In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

a murder in wellesley 303 epilogue The victory celebration, if justice can be called a victory, ended just after last call at Desmond O’Malley’s, a short walk down Route Nine from the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The extended prosecution team had retired to the Natick hotel for a lighthearted banquet following the guilty verdict, District Attorney Bill Keating buying the steak dinners and a festive Ilse Stark supplying the champagne. Then they moved the party to the pub. Although the pints of Guinness and Bass Ale were flowing freely that night, the emotional toll caused by Dirk Greineder’s treachery still rippled like a cold undercurrent beneath the boisterous revelry. For those directly involved in the case, May Greineder’s senseless murder had left an indelible mark that will always be felt. Many of the jurors would return to Morses Pond bearing flowers for May in the coming days. Almost a month after coming to the conclusion that the upstanding family man had indeed viciously snuffed out the life of the mother of his children, juror Sara Barbera gave birth to a baby girl; the proud parents named her Maeve Hazelton “May” Barbera. Deeply affected by their role in the Greineder case, most of the jurors have stayed in touch since delivering their verdict. After eighteen months of almost constant preparation of the case against Dirk Greineder, Chief Terry Cunningham, his brother Wayne, and Jill McDermott returned to the normalcy of being Wellesley police officers, although McDermott eventually retired to marry and have a family. Less than three months after the Greineder trial, terrorists unleashed the devastating attacks of September 11, 2001. Antiterror concerns moved to the forefront and Sgt. Marty Foley’s demonstrated investigative expertise resulted in his immediate transfer to the office of State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan, where he was later promoted to lieutenant and put in command of the elite State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Section. His exemplary service was further recognized in November 2004 when he was promoted to the prestigious rank of detective lieutenant. Foley retired from the Massachusetts State Police in May 2007. 304 tom farmer and marty foley Like Foley, Belinda Markel is still consumed by the unanswered questions surrounding Dirk Greineder’s murderous behavior. After researching the children of Nazis and speaking to noted Northeastern University criminologist Jack Levin, Belinda reached the conclusion that her uncle was a murderous sociopath of the likes of Scott Peterson or Charles Stuart . “He thought he was going to be good at this because he was good at so many other things,” she said sadly. Belinda and her family still live in Manhattan. Her aunt’s ashes remain with those of May’s parents in Queens. A startling DNA match in June 2003 would bring more bad news for Dr. Greineder’s continued claims of innocence. District Attorney Keating announced that Martin G. Guy, a former Walpole resident Rick Grundy had sent to prison for life just before the Greineder trial, had been genetically linked to the gruesome December 1998 slaying of Irene Kennedy. Guy had been convicted for the September 1999 stabbing death of Christopher Payne at their Norwood rooming house and Guy’s DNA was later entered into a criminal database where authorities genetically linked him to the Kennedy murder. A cornerstone of Dr. Greineder’s defense was that his wife was slain by a mysterious madman much like Irene Kennedy and Dick Reyenger, but Guy’s subsequent conviction of first-degree murder on September 20, 2006, for the Kennedy killing further eroded his shattered credibility. Guy has also emerged as a prime suspect in Richard Reyenger’s August 1999 murder investigated by Marty Foley, but the lack of physical evidence has so far prevented the authorities from bringing a third murder charge against him. Following a series of six extensions granted by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court for Dr. Greineder to file his automatic appeal beginning in July 2003, Greineder’s appellate lawyer, James L. Sultan, instead filed a multipronged motion for a new trial in July 2005. On January 26, 2006, Dr. Greineder made his first public appearance since his June 2001 conviction, standing again before trial Judge Paul Chernoff for a hearing in Dedham Superior Court. It would be the first of many evidentiary hearings on the motions before Judge Chernoff over the course of 2006 and the first half of 2007. On October 31, 2007, eight years to the day that Dr. Greineder had so horribly...


Additional Information

Related ISBN
MARC Record
Launched on MUSE
Open Access
Back To Top

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.