In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

CHAPTER 26 1848 NE month to the day after being chartered, the fledgling City of Atlanta proceeded to the election of officers. So on Saturday, January 29, 1848, great excitement prevailed as 2151 citizens cast their votes for the two candidates for mayor, Moses W. Formwalt and Jonathan Norcross. Only one polling place was available, Thomas Kile's grocery,2 on the present site of the William-Oliver Building at Five Points. The number of votes received by the two candidates is not of record, but two days later the following certification was issued: De Kalb County son M. Hodge and Francis M. Gray, who are freeholders, and who were managers at the election for mayor and members of the council of the city of Atlanta, and neither of whom being candidates, do certify that said election was held on Saturday, the 29th day of January, 1848, and that Moses W. Formwalt received the highest number of votes for mayor, and was declared duly elected. Given under our hands and seal, this 31st day of January, 1848. E. G. COLLIER, J.P. P. M. HODGE F. M. GRAY" A like certification was issued at the same time relative to the successful candidates for council. They were Jonas S. Smith, merchant; Benjamin F. Bomar, physician; Robert W. Bullard, cotton dealer; James A. Collins, merchant ; Anderson W. Walton, owner of the noted Walton Spring, and Leonard C. Simpson, lawyer.3 Justice of the Peace Edwin G. Collier was an older brother of John Collier, who drew up the charter under which the election was held, and of Postmaster George Washington Collier.4 Atlanta's first mayor was a young Tennessean of French descent who, at the time of his election, was only 28. He had come to Decatur, Georgia, from Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1844, and there formed a partnership with John E. Adams in a tin and copper shop. The partnership was dissolved in 1846 and Formwalt moved to Atlanta that year, residing with Dr. Joseph Thompson. Here he re-established himself in the tin and copper business on Decatur Street directly behind Mr. Collier's combination grocery and Post Office. The business was successful and Formwalt was soon selling tinware and copper stills over much of North Georgia.5 The first City Council meeting of Atlanta was held Wednesday morning, February 2, 1848, in the store of Jonas S. Smith at the southwest corner of Whitehall and Alabama streets. A committee of two was appointed to draft rules of order for government of the Council. The matter of salaries and bonds for the Clerk, Treasurer, Marshal, and Deputy Marshal was handled. An ordinance committee was appointed to draft an ordinance on licenses. Adjournment was had until 7 P. M. the same day at the same place. L. C. Simpson acted as clerk.6 O :gEORGI wE, eDWIN g. cOLLIER, a jUSTICE OF THE PEACE ,AND PATTER- 264 ATLANTA AND ITS ENVIRONS At the evening meeting German M. Lester was elected Marshal, Thomas Shivers, Deputy Marshal, Leonard C. Simpson, City Clerk, and Oswald Houston, Treasurer. Simpson declined the honor and Robert M. Clarke was elected in his stead on February 8th.7 A meeting of Council was held Thursday night, February 3, at the store of James Collins, but no minutes exist.8 At a meeting held February 9 in the store of Addison Dulin, Hugh M. Boyd was elected Tax Collector and Receiver. By February 15th, with all (From an original water color by Wilbur G. Kurtz, in collection of Franklin M. Garrett) Atlanta's first municipal election, Jan. 1848. Moses Formwalt defeated Jonathan Norcross for mayor. Thomas Kile's store stood on the corner of Peachtree and Marietta Streets, present site of William-Oliver Building. officials duly elected, Council proceeded to a consideration of the ebb and flow of small town business, some of which, briefly recorded, will indicate what was going on in the Atlanta of 1848. February 15. Council met in Masonic Hall. Thereafter the place of meeting, when designated, was recorded as "Council Chamber." Allen E. Johnson and Jonathan Norcross were charged with draying without a license. Stephen Terry was given a contract to survey the city in conformity to the one mile circle specified in the charter. A pine table, S/o'xS' was ordered to be made—possibly the first piece of furniture bought by the city.9 February 19. William J. Mann was brought before Council for not moving his scales off the sidewalk...

pdf

Additional Information

ISBN
9780820331270
Related ISBN
9780820302638
MARC Record
OCLC
794702320
Pages
992
Launched on MUSE
2012-02-08
Language
English
Open Access
No
Back To Top

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.