In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content:

Appendix Chronology of Events Related to Uluru–Kata Tjuta 1872 First European explorer visits Uluru. 1873 Explorer W. C. Gosse climbs Uluru and renames it Ayers Rock. 1920 Northern Territory establishes the Petermann Aboriginal Reserve under the Northern Territory Crown Lands Ordinance. 1944 The first organized tourist group visits Ayers Rock. 1958 The Ayers Rock–Mount Olga area is excised from Petermann Reserve and designated Ayers Rock–Mount Olga National Park. 1959 Park managers build an airstrip and non-Aboriginal residences and discourage Anangu from visiting the park. 1963 Former park ranger Bill Harney publishes To Ayers Rock and Beyond. 1965 Anthropologist Charles Pearce Mountford publishes Ayers Rock: Its People, Their Beliefs, and Their Art. 1966 A chain is installed onto the rock face of Uluru to assist climbers. 1972 The Ininti Store is built and leased to the Anangu community. 1973 The Commonwealth recommends management rights for Anangu owners. Anangu members form the Uluru Community, later called the Mutitjulu Community. 1974 The first Anangu sacred site is fenced. 1976 The safety chain on Uluru is extended to the summit. 1977 Uluru–Kata Tjuta becomes a Commonwealth National Park under the National Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act. The park is designated a Biosphere Reserve under the UNESCO Man and Biosphere Programme. The park is listed on the Register of the National Estate under the Australian Heritage Commission Act. Ownership of the park is transferred to the director of the National Parks and Wildlife Service, preventing Anangu Traditional Owners from claiming Uluru under the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act (ALRA). 110 / Appendix: Chronology of Events Related to Uluru–Kata Tjuta 1979 The Uluru (Ayers Rock) National Park and Lake Amadeus/Luritja Land Claim is filed under ALRA, but the Commonwealth denies the claim. 1983 The village of Yulara is built outside park boundaries. After completion, the number of visitors to the park doubles to 80,000 per year. The Commonwealth amends ALRA to return the title of Uluru–Kata Tjuta National Park to the Traditional Owners. The title is not granted until 1985. 1985 October 21: sixteen hectares are added to park. October 26: the governor gives the titled deeds of the park to Anangu owners, who immediately lease the park to the director of National Parks and Wildlife Service for a 99-year term. December 10: first Joint Management Board is established. 1986 A Board of Management with an Aboriginal majority is established. Management of the park is turned over to the Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service. Anthropologist Robert Layton publishes Uluru: An Aboriginal History of Ayers Rock. 1987 The park is listed as a natural site on the World Heritage list under criteria (vii) and (ix). 1993 The official name of the park is changed to Uluru–Kata Tjuta National Park. 1994 Uluru is listed as a cultural landscape on the World Heritage list under criteria (v) and (vi). 1995 Anangu Tours Party Ltd., an Anangu-owned firm, is established to conduct tours in the park. 1997 Workshops are held with Anangu, park staff, and other organizations to incorporate Anangu values and views into the Park Plan of Management. Traditional Owners for the Yulara town site file a native title claim with the National Native Title Tribunal. 2000 The Sydney Olympics torch relay begins at Uluru–Kata Tjuta, bringing international attention to the park. The Uluru–Kata Tjuta Board of Management and the director of National Parks submit the Fourth Plan of Management. 2001 The Uluru climb is closed for three weeks to mark the death of an important Anangu elder. The decision is criticized by many, including Northern Territory. Appendix: Chronology of Events Related to Uluru–Kata Tjuta / 111 2009 The draft of the Fifth Plan of Management is presented by the Uluru– Kata Tjuta Board of Management and the director of National Parks for public comment. ...

pdf

Additional Information

ISBN
9780813052106
Related ISBN
9780813056562
MARC Record
OCLC
1013541264
Pages
168
Launched on MUSE
2018-01-03
Language
English
Open Access
No
Back To Top

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.