Readings in Methodology
Publication Year: 2011
Published by: African Books Collective
Introduction: Questions of Method
Download PDF (119.0 KB)
From the beginning, the principal reason for the organization of a series of methodological workshops for young researchers was the fact that no body of knowledge . . .
Part One - Social Reasons for Scientific Practice
Download PDF (24.7 KB)
1. Pragmatism as a Vision of the World and as a Method: A Philosophical Examination of the Challenges Presented to Contemporary Social Research by Subjective Idealism
Download PDF (109.9 KB)
Carried along by the current wave of postmodernism, today, pragmatism dominates the entire social, economic and cultural field. With respect to epistemology, its world . . .
2. The Alchemis and the Apprentice Myth-Hunter, Comments on Social Engineering in African Social Sciences
Download PDF (130.6 KB)
Historians of science often emphasise the social conditions surrounding the appearance and acceptance of a particular reading of the world and the choice of techniques . . .
Part Two - Logics of Discovery
3. An Introduction to the Epistemology of the Social Sciences
Download PDF (180.7 KB)
Since their appearance in the 19th century, the social sciences have made undeniable progress, both from the point of view of knowledge that they provide us on . . .
4. Reasons and Causes: Wittgenstein versus The Myth of Causal Explanation in the Social Sciences
Download PDF (95.0 KB)
According to the normal way of looking at things, science is an activity with the objective of bringing to light the causes of phenomena. In this sense, a scientific . . .
5. Scientific Logics and Methodologies
Download PDF (110.7 KB)
Unfavorable prejudices with respect to logic have kept it at arms-length from methodological problems for some time. During the Renaissance, Montaigne accused . . .
6. Construction of the Subject as a Practice of Clarification of Social Relationships
Download PDF (136.0 KB)
Social sciences, Luc Van Campenhoudt teaches us, “are not defined by the phenomena that they study: the phenomena called “economic” by economists, the . . .
Part Three - Contextual Determinations
7. Moroccan Sociology: Epistemological Preliminaries
Download PDF (100.6 KB)
The researcher interested in sociology is, after a certain period of investigations and reflections, undeniably faced with a series of interrogations and questions of an . . .
8. Autochthones Making their Realities Strange in Order to Better Understand Them
Download PDF (90.6 KB)
In my paper titled “African(ized?) Gnosis as Sense-making?”, (Achieng’ 2005:54- 57) one cannot help noticing my heavy borrowing from already existing debates . . .
Part Four - Tools for Investigation
9. Life History and the Writing of Ethnography: The Case of Morocco
Download PDF (108.5 KB)
In this chapter, I will try to raise some questions about the complexity of collecting life histories and presenting them in ethnographic writing. I will try to show that . . .
10. Audiovisual Instruments in Ethnographic Research
Download PDF (97.7 KB)
In 1973, the most renowned researchers in Visual Anthropology met at the ninth International Congress of Anthropology and Sociology to discuss the role of film . . .
11. Establishing an Observation, Producing a Discourse, Illustrating Results Possibilities for the Photographic Tool
Download PDF (3.3 MB)
Starting from three concrete examples, we will underline several potentialities of the photographic tool for study in the social sciences.1 Various research experiences have . . .
12. Comparison: A foundational Approach in the Social Sciences
Download PDF (186.9 KB)
While comparative research is on the increase at the initiative of national and international organizations, we might be surprised at the relative lack of . . .
Part Five - Writing and Research
13. Writing in the Social Sciences: From Field Notes to Scientific Reports
Download PDF (146.4 KB)
The researcher in the social sciences never stops writing. To size up the activity of writing which continually accompanies research is to follow science to the place . . .
Page Count: 308
Publication Year: 2011