Academic Freedom and the Social Responsibilities of Academics in Tanzania
Publication Year: 2009
Published by: African Books Collective
Download PDF (46.1 KB)
Notes of Contributors
Download PDF (46.5 KB)
1. Introduction: Academic Freedom and the Social Responsibilities of Academics in Tanzania
Download PDF (81.0 KB)
When the Dar es Salaam Declaration on Academic Freedom and Social Responsibility of Academics saw the light of day in the early 1990s, African higher education systems were in a serious, multidimensional and longstanding crisis. Hand-in-hand with the imbalances...
2. Academic Freedom, Social Responsibility and the State of Academia in Tanzania: Glimpses of Nationalist Academics
Download PDF (78.4 KB)
The concept of academic freedom emerged from the more general struggle for freedom of thought and expression, basic rights of any free society. Without academic freedom, scholars cannot perform their vital role of seeking and spreading new...
3. Academic Freedom, the Autonomy of Institutions of Higher Education and the Social Responsibility of Academics
Download PDF (96.0 KB)
When I was first invited to present a paper on âAcademic Freedom, the Autonomy of Institutions of Higher Education and the Social Responsibility of Academicsâ for a workshop on Academic Freedom, Social Responsibility and the State of...
4. Implications of Privatisation and Marketisation of Higher Education for the Generation of Knowledge and Social Trasnformation
Download PDF (85.5 KB)
The debate on privatisation is usually influenced by existing crises. Privatisation is usually prescribed as a non-problematic solution to an untenable situation. In such circumstances, any opposition to privatisation is portrayed as support for a system...
5. The University as a Site of Knowledge: The Role of Basic Research
Download PDF (122.5 KB)
On 30 April 2003, the then United States Ambassador to Tanzania, Mr Robert V. Royall, was scheduled to inaugurate a USAID-funded modern transportation engineering laboratory on the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) main campus...
6. The Obligation of the State and Communities in the Provision of Higher Education
Download PDF (82.0 KB)
Higher education in Tanzania is said to be in crisis by many members of society. There have been demands for reforms by people from all walks of life, including many public figures. Recently, comments published in one of the newspapers...
Proceedings of the Conference on Academic Freedom and Social Responsibility
Download PDF (85.7 KB)
Resolution on Academic Freedom and the Social Responsibilities of Academics adopted by the Academic Staff Associations of East Africa on 11 February 2005
Download PDF (68.4 KB)
The Kampala Declaration on Intellectual Freedom and Social Responsibility
Download PDF (56.1 KB)
The Dar-es-Salaam Declaration on Academic Freedom and Social Responsibility of Academics
Download PDF (85.9 KB)
Page Count: 104
Publication Year: 2009