Publication Year: 2005
Published by: Franciscan Institute Publications
Download PDF (36.1 KB)
The origins of this book go back almost a decade. I had recently completed an earlier volume in this series,1 when Brother Edward Coughlin, then Director of the Franciscan Institute, asked me if I would consider translating...
Download PDF (27.3 KB)
Download PDF (130.3 KB)
The Breviloquium and the Itinerarium mentis in Deum are undoubtedly the two works of the Seraphic Doctor that have received the most sustained admiration over the centuries. To judge by the number of extant copies,...
Download PDF (120.5 KB)
In these words, the great âdoctor of the Gentiles and preacher of truth,â filled with the Holy Spirit as a chosen and sanctified instrument,2 discloses the source, procedure, and purpose of Holy Scripture, which is called theology.3 For he intimates that Scripture...
Part I. On the Trinity of God
Download PDF (151.5 KB)
1. In the beginning,1 we should understand that sacred doctrine, namely theology, which deals principally with the First Principle â God, three and one â comprises seven topics in all: first, the Trinity of God; second, the creation of the world; third...
Part II. On the Creation of the World
Download PDF (190.1 KB)
1. Now that we have presented a summary review of the Trinity of God, we need to say a few things about the creation of the world. Concisely put, we should maintain the following belief concerning this: namely, that the entire world machine was brought...
Part III. On the Corruption of Sin
Download PDF (160.0 KB)
1. Having briefly established certain points about the Trinity of God and the creation of the world, we now must touch upon about the corruption [of that creation] by sin. What we must maintain concerning this may be summarized as follows: that sin is not any kind of essence, but a defect and corruptive...
Part IV. On the Incarnation of the Word
Download PDF (164.5 KB)
1. Having said something about the Trinity of God, the creation of the world, and the corruption of sin, we now turn to a brief discussion of the Incarnation of the Word, for it was by the Wordâs becoming flesh that the salvation and redemption of humankind was achieved. This was not because God could not...
Part V. On the Grace of the Holy Spirit
Download PDF (183.8 KB)
1. Now that we have examined the Incarnation of the Word, which is the origin and wellspring of every gratuitous gift,1 we must say something about the grace of the Holy Spirit. This we will consider under four aspects: first, as a divinely given gift;...
Part VI. On the Sacramental Remedy
Download PDF (230.4 KB)
1. Thus far we have examined the Trinity of God, the creation of the world, the corruption of sin, the Incarnation of the Word, and the grace of the Holy Spirit. So now, in the sixth place, we must consider the sacramental remedy. 1 There are seven...
Part VII. On the Repose of the Final Judgement
Download PDF (155.1 KB)
1. We have now briefly spoken of the Trinity of God, the creation of the world, the corruption of sin, the incarnation of the Word, the grace of the Holy Spirit, and the sacramental remedy. It remains for us, in seventh and last place, to treat the repose of the final judgment.1 In this regard, the following...
Index of Scriptural Passages
Download PDF (43.6 KB)
Index of Church Fathers, Ecclesiastical Authors, and Glossae
Download PDF (65.5 KB)
Index of Philosophers and Jurists
Download PDF (34.8 KB)
Page Count: 380
Publication Year: 2005
Volume Title: Volume 9
Series Title: Works of St. Bonaventure
Series Editor Byline: Robert J. Karris, O.F.M.