Commentary of the Gospel of Luke, Part I
Publication Year: 2011
Published by: Franciscan Institute Publications
Title Page, Copyright Page
Table of Contents
Download PDF (188.7 KB)
1. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me. He has sent me to preach to the meek, to heal the contrite of heart, 1 and proclaim freedom to the captives, and release to those shut up. 2 While we were considering...
Download PDF (643.4 KB)
1. Inasmuch as many, etc. This is the second prologue, namely, the one which the author Blessed Luke writes for his Gospel and in which he reveals his intention with regard to four points, that with regard to...
Download PDF (546.7 KB)
1. Now it came to pass in those days, etc. The section having been completed that treated of the conception of the Savior in the womb, this second section considers the birth of the Savior from the womb...
Download PDF (426.6 KB)
1. In the fifteenth year, etc.1 Earlier the Evangelist dealt with the mystery of the incarnation of Christ with regard to his birth in the womb and from the womb. Here he deals with the same mystery with regard to...
Download PDF (553.5 KB)
1. Now Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, etc. In Luke 1–3 above the Evangelist considered the mystery of the incarnation or the birth of the Christ. In this part his concern is the teaching or doctrine of Jesus’ preaching...
Download PDF (490.0 KB)
1. Now it came to pass, while the crowds were pressing upon him, etc. In Chapter 4 above the Evangelist dealt with the authentication of Christ’s teaching. In this part he considers the call of the disciples. And this part has two sections...
Download PDF (697.4 KB)
1. Now it came to pass on a Sabbath. Earlier the Evangelist treated the call of the disciples. In this part he deals with their defense, because it is the task of the Good Shepherd not only to gather together the sheep...
Download PDF (517.2 KB)
1. When he had finished all his discourse, etc. Now that the Evangelist has treated the truth of Christ’s teaching, he here commends that teaching by showing the sublimity of the Teacher. And he shows Christ’s sublimity...
Download PDF (614.8 KB)
1. And it came about afterwards, etc. Earlier1 general instruction was given to the disciples in matters required for the salvation of all people. But in this part is added instruction which is particular and pertains to the mystical...
Index of Scripture Passages
Download PDF (122.1 KB)
Church Fathers, Ecclesiastical Authors, and Glosae
Download PDF (56.2 KB)
Philosophers, Jurists, and Historians
Download PDF (52.4 KB)
Page Count: 849
Publication Year: 2011
Volume Title: Volume VIII, Part I
Series Title: Works of Saint Bonaventure
Series Editor Byline: Robert J. Karris, OFM