Exploring Composition Studies
Sites, Issues, Perspectives
Publication Year: 2012
Published by: Utah State University Press
Title Page, Copyright
Foreword: Defining Composition Studies . . . Again, and Again
Download PDF (104.5 KB)
Some fifteen years ago, Lynn Bloom, Don Daiker, and Ed White published . . .
Introduction: How Did We Get Here?
Download PDF (127.7 KB)
Composition studies—an important subset of the larger field of rhetoric and composition—is an intellectual formation that draws insights from . . .
I: The State of the Field(s)
1. Creation Myths and Flash Points: Understanding Basic Writing through Conflicted Stories
Download PDF (180.7 KB)
By now there is a well-developed literature attesting to the importance of stories—of narrative—for the development of institutional, cultural, . . .
2. Teaching Composition in the Multilingual World: Second Language Writing in Composition Studies
Download PDF (186.7 KB)
The student population in U.S. college composition programs is not what it used to be. This statement rings true regardless of which period . . .
3. Remapping Professional Writing: Articulating the State of the Art and Composition Studies
Download PDF (362.3 KB)
In 1993, Patricia A. Sullivan and James E. Porter published “Remapping Curricular Geography: Professional Writing in/and English” in the . . .
4. Writing Center Scholarship: A “Big Cross-Disciplinary Tent”
Download PDF (148.1 KB)
In his keynote address at the 2004 Thomas R. Watson Conference, Neal Lerner captured an essential quality of research and scholarship . . .
5. WAC’s Disappearing Act
Download PDF (554.9 KB)
In their contribution to this volume, “Creation Myths and Flash Points,” Linda Adler-Kassner and Susanmarie Harrington invite us to view the . . .
II: Innovations, Advancements, and Methodologies
7. Reimagining the Nature of FYC Trends in Writing-about-Writing Pedagogies
Download PDF (168.0 KB)
As the introduction to this volume notes, the advent of the field of composition studies was marked by the emergence of specialized theory- and . . .
8. Transfer, Portability, Generalization: (How) Does Composition Expertise “Carry”?
Download PDF (209.2 KB)
Transfer, a term with myriad connotations, has become key to recent discussions in composition studies. The process it names encapsulates . . .
9. Writing Assessment in the Early Twenty-first Century: A Primer
Download PDF (205.6 KB)
By definition, writing assessment is at the heart of composition studies: through pedagogically based assessment practices like responding to . . .
10. Studying Literacy in Digital Contexts: Computers and Composition Studies
Download PDF (170.9 KB)
In a twenty-first-century world shaped increasingly by digital environments for creating and communicating meaning by electronic . . .
11. “What Goes On Here?”: The Uses of Ethnography in Composition Studies
Download PDF (176.6 KB)
“What is the postmodernist critique of ethnography?” was a question posed to me by a member of the search committee on a campus visit for . . .
12. Archival Research in the Field of Rhetoric and Composition
Download PDF (199.0 KB)
As researchers in rhetoric and composition, we are drawn to the pursuit of information that is revealed only in archival documents—the . . .
13. Writing Pedagogy Education: Instructor Development in Composition Studies
Download PDF (193.7 KB)
Within composition studies, the work of mentoring writing teachers inhabits a curricular space that is similar in significant ways to that of . . .
Afterword: Redefining the Ineffable -- Or, Creating Scholarly Presence and a Usable Future: An Editor’s Perspective
Download PDF (112.9 KB)
Most editors of professional journals, likely all, provide guidelines for evaluating manuscripts submitted for possible publication. A key . . .
Download PDF (217.5 KB)
Download PDF (88.9 KB)
About the Authors
Download PDF (115.3 KB)
Page Count: 300
Publication Year: 2012