We cannot verify your location
Browse Book and Journal Content on Project MUSE
OR
title

Detroit’s Historic Places of Worship

Marla O. Collum

Publication Year: 2012

Published by: Wayne State University Press

Title Page

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.9 MB)
 

read more

Foreword

pdf iconDownload PDF (332.2 KB)
pp. vii-

Whenever I drive up Woodward Avenue, past the fast-food drive-ins and the parking lots and the gaudy newer buildings, I take solace in the noble churches that still grace Detroit. Grace is the correct word here: Through a blend of spiritual inspiration and architectural craftsmanship, Detroiters built...

read more

Preface

pdf iconDownload PDF (471.6 KB)
pp. ix-

In Detroit’s more than four-hundred-year history, it has spawned hundreds of churches. As Detroit grew from a remote fort to a village to a town, its church structures became increasingly sophisticated and diverse, reflecting the makeup of the changing population. The original French settlers were followed by the British, and events in Europe during...

Acknowledgments

pdf iconDownload PDF (301.4 KB)
pp. xi-

Maps

pdf iconDownload PDF (28.4 MB)
pp. xii-xv

PART I. 1848-1860

read more

1. Saints Peter and Paul Church, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.6 MB)
pp. 2-7

Detroit’s oldest existing church building, Saints Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church, was built to be the cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Detroit, a role it served for twenty-nine years. For his cathedral, in 1843, Bishop Peter Paul Lefevere...

read more

2. Mariners’ Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.4 MB)
pp. 8-13

Located in the heart of downtown, Mariners’ Church is an anomaly as far as Detroit churches go. Formed from the wishes of a will, it is the oldest stone church in the city and for quite a while shared its building with commercial enterprises...

read more

3. Second Baptist Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.7 MB)
pp. 14-19

Second Baptist Church is located in an area known as Greektown, adjacent to downtown Detroit. Until the 1900s, Greektown was the center of Detroit’s German community. Today the site is intermingled with ethnic food and specialty shops, parking...

read more

4. Fort Street Presbyterian Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.9 MB)
pp. 20-25

After the 1854 fire, the downtown area west of Woodward Avenue had a growing residential area but no Presbyterian church. Land was purchased at Fort and Third streets, spearheaded by Detroit families such as the Algers, Buhls, Chandlers, Heckers, Joys, and...

read more

5. Most Holy Trinity Church, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.7 MB)
pp. 26-30

Most Holy Trinity holds the distinction of being the second Roman Catholic parish founded in Detroit and the first to serve the city’s English-speaking population, which was predominantly of Irish descent in the mid-nineteenth century. In...

PART II. 1860-1890

read more

6. Saint John’s Episcopal Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.3 MB)
pp. 32-35

When Saint John’s Episcopal Church was built, it was just beyond the city limits, which were surrounded by orchards, farms, and a few homes. Soon, as the city spread beyond the immediate riverfront, this area became known as the first of two Piety...

read more

7. Christ Church, Episcopal

pdf iconDownload PDF (3.1 MB)
pp. 36-43

Christ Church was founded in 1845 as an offshoot of Saint Paul’s Church, now the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul. The growth of Detroit in an easterly direction necessitated another Episcopal parish to accommodate the increase in churchgoers. Christ...

read more

8. Central United Methodist Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.7 MB)
pp. 44-51

Central United Methodist Church organized in 1810 and is considered the birthplace of Protestantism in Michigan. After being located at several small sites closer to the river, this church strategically decided to move to the northeastern rim of Grand Circus Park...

read more

9. Saint Joseph’s, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.8 MB)
pp. 52-57

Appearing to have been picked up and moved from Germany, this parish served the immigrant German population just east of downtown Detroit. An offshoot of “Old” Saint Mary’s and like so many of Detroit’s churches, Saint Joseph’s was a connection...

read more

10. Saint Albertus, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.9 MB)
pp. 58-63

Saint Albertus is Detroit’s oldest Polish Roman Catholic parish. By 1870 the number of Polish immigrants in Detroit was large enough for them to consider forming their own parish and building their own church. There are three versions of the founding. An early...

read more

11. Saint Mary’s, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.0 MB)
pp. 64-69

Old” Saint Mary’s Church has a major presence in the bustling business district known as Greektown (originally Germantown), along with Second Baptist Church, a casino, office buildings, parking structures, Detroit police headquarters, and a nearby freeway...

read more

12. Sainte Anne, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.0 MB)
pp. 70-73

"No discussion of churches would be complete without the mention of Sainte Anne, Detroit’s first church, which has often been called the “Mother Church of Detroit.” Named to honor the patron saint of New France, Sainte Anne Church has endured as...

read more

13. Trumbull Avenue Presbyterian Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.9 MB)
pp. 74-80

Trumbull Avenue Presbyterian Church is Detroit’s last major example of Venetian Gothic, an architectural style popularized in the second half of the nineteenth century by the English writer John Ruskin. The aesthetic movement inspired an extraordinary original...

PART III. 1890-1920

read more

14. First Presbyterian Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.2 MB)
pp. 82-87

Until the summer of 1816 the only religious services in Detroit were, for the most part, provided by a Catholic priest, Father Gabriel Richard of Sainte Anne Catholic Church. A group of Protestants led by Governor Lewis Cass sent a request to Princeton...

read more

15. First Congregational Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.9 MB)
pp. 88-95

Congregationalism was brought to America by the Pilgrims in 1620 and gradually became a major church group in New England. This religious culture moved westward with the country’s expansion, arriving in Michigan’s northeastern Oakland County by...

read more

16. Cass Avenue United Methodist Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.9 MB)
pp. 96-103

When the Cass Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church was first formed in 1880–81, it was as a mission from Central Methodist Episcopal Church on Woodward Avenue at Grand Circus Park. The land purchased for the new mission church was part...

read more

17. Trinity Episcopal Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.5 MB)
pp. 104-109

In 1880 the congregation of what was then known as Epiphany Reformed Episcopal Church purchased a lot just south of the intersection of Grand River and Trumbull avenues and built a small frame church. The church was down the street from the home of James...

read more

18. Sweetest Heart of Mary, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.9 MB)
pp. 110-115

At one time able to seat 2,400 people, Sweetest Heart of Mary is considered one of the largest Catholic churches in metropolitan Detroit. The history of the church is rooted in the mid-nineteenth- century immigration of Poles who came to the Detroit area...

read more

19. Our Lady of the Rosary, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.1 MB)
pp. 116-119

In 1883 Mrs. Lucetta Medbury provided funds for what was then Saint Joseph Episcopal Memorial Chapel, on land owned by her husband, to be built in honor of her parents. Ten years later the congregation had grown, and again Mrs. Medbury offered land and the...

read more

20. Saint Josaphat, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.7 MB)
pp. 120-125

Steeped in Polish patriotism, Saint Josaphat, with its distinctive three spires, exists today as evidence of the former lively Polish quarter of Detroit. Immigrants from Prussian-occupied regions of Poland began to arrive in Detroit in the 1850s. The...

read more

21. Temple Beth El

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.8 MB)
pp. 126-131

What began as a small gathering of worshippers in a Detroit home organized to become Michigan’s first Jewish congregation. From these modest beginnings, the congregation flourished and endured, leaving a significant architectural legacy...

read more

22. People’s Community Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.9 MB)
pp. 132-137

For over fifty years People’s Community Church has occupied the building that was originally North Baptist Church. That congregation merged with their mother church and took their name, becoming First Baptist Church in 1912, a little over two...

read more

23. Holy Family, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.8 MB)
pp. 138-143

An influx of immigrants from southern Italy and Sicily who settled on Detroit’s near east side in the early 1900s wanted a Catholic church of their own. Under the leadership of Father Giovanni Boschi, this congregation was organized in 1908. The chapel...

read more

24. Cathedral Church of Saint Paul, Episcopal

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.3 MB)
pp. 144-149

The bright red outer doors of the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul are an indication of the treasures to delight the eye found within the massive walls. Located in the heart of the Cultural Center, Saint Paul’s is on the cusp of downtown revitalization and invites...

read more

25. Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.4 MB)
pp. 150-151

The former Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church’s innovative design and thoughtful use of materials make it a unique feature on the Detroit landscape. Located at the corner of Woodward Avenue and West Philadelphia, part of the upper Piety Hill area, this...

read more

26. The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.5 MB)
pp. 152-157

Inspired by traditional Norman Gothic architecture, the vast Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament was originally a parish church serving the newly developed Woodward Avenue–Boston Boulevard residential areas. The first mass...

read more

27. Saint Charles Borromeo, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.9 MB)
pp. 158-164

Peter Dederichs designed this building, the last of his career, for Detroit’s east-side Flemish Catholic population. Originally an offshoot of the Belgian church Our Lady of Sorrows, Saint Charles Borromeo parish was founded in 1886. The parish had worshipped...

PART IV. 1920-1950

read more

28. Most Holy Redeemer, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.7 MB)
pp. 166-171

The Redemptorist Order, under the leadership of Father Aegidius Smulders, founded Most Holy Redeemer Church and Parish in 1880. The parish was under their care for almost 120 years until 1999, when they ceded stewardship to the Archdiocese of...

read more

29. Holy Cross Hungarian Church, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.5 MB)
pp. 172-179

In 1902 a young priest of Hungarian descent, Father Hubert Klenner, was assigned to Saint Elizabeth Church on the east side of Detroit. From that distance he tended to the spiritual needs of the 150 Hungarian Catholic families living in the Delray area of southwest...

read more

30. Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (3.3 MB)
pp. 180-189

Organized in 1854, Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church was originally located at the corner of East Jefferson and Rivard Street, serving the Presbyterian population of the east side of Detroit. This was a year of incredible prosperity for the Presbyterian Church...

read more

31. Saint Matthew and Saint Joseph Protestant Episcopal Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (3.0 MB)
pp. 190-197

This congregation is the result of a 1971 merger between Saint Matthew Episcopal Church, previously located at Saint Antoine and Elizabeth in the downtown Detroit area, and Saint Joseph Episcopal Church at the Woodward and Holbrook site...

read more

32. Little Rock Missionary Baptist Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (3.0 MB)
pp. 198-205

This building on Woodward Avenue at Josephine Street has served two congregations. It was constructed as the fourth home of Central Church of Christ, which had become Central Woodward Christian Church by the time the church was constructed...

read more

33. Saint Florian, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.6 MB)
pp. 206-211

As more and more Polish Catholics immigrated to the Detroit area in search of economic security at the new Dodge, Ford, and Packard auto plants, there was a growing need for a Catholic church in Hamtramck. It was a major inconvenience and a hazard...

read more

34. Nativity of Our Lord, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.3 MB)
pp. 212-217

Worship services for what would become Nativity of Our Lord were originally held in an abandoned school building in Leesville, a village now completely absorbed by the City of Detroit. Founded in 1911, the church was to serve the once...

read more

35. Saint Aloysius Church, Roman Catholic

pdf iconDownload PDF (1.8 MB)
pp. 218-223

Caspar H. Borgess, Detroit’s second bishop, purchased the former Westminster Presbyterian Church on Washington Boulevard in 1873 and dedicated the building to be a new Catholic church, Saint Aloysius. This new church would serve an important...

read more

36. Historic Trinity Lutheran Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.4 MB)
pp. 224-229

Trinity Lutheran’s congregation was formed in 1850 and consisted of people of German ancestry, with services held in German. Trinity became the “mother church” for all Missouri Synod Lutheran churches in the Detroit area. In November...

read more

37. Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Church

pdf iconDownload PDF (2.8 MB)
pp. 230-236

Ukrainians first immigrated to the United States in the 1870s, arriving in Detroit at the turn of the nineteenth century. From the beginning they were eager to preserve their language, customs, and faith. In 1911 they established their first parish, Saint John the...

Architects

pdf iconDownload PDF (93.0 KB)
pp. 237-242

Artists, Artisans, and Craftspeople

pdf iconDownload PDF (91.9 KB)
pp. 243-248

Glossary

pdf iconDownload PDF (66.1 KB)
pp. 249-250

Bibliography

pdf iconDownload PDF (62.5 KB)
pp. 251-252

Index

pdf iconDownload PDF (361.6 KB)
pp. 253-256

Back Cover

pdf iconDownload PDF (8.7 MB)
 


E-ISBN-13: 9780814338117
Print-ISBN-13: 9780814334249

Page Count: 256
Publication Year: 2012

Edition: 1
Volume Title: N/a
Series Title: Painted Turtle

Recommend

UPCC logo

Subject Headings

  • Church architecture -- Michigan -- Detroit.
  • Church buildings -- Michigan -- Detroit.
  • Historic buildings -- Michigan -- Detroit.
  • Detroit (Mich.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
  • You have access to this content
  • Free sample
  • Open Access
  • Restricted Access