In this Book
- Changing Horizons: Explorations in Feminist Interpretation
- Published by: Augsburg Fortress Publishers
- View |
- View Citation
Changing Horizons is the second of two volumes highlighting the ways in which Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza’s work constructs a critical feminist theory and praxis of liberation, in relation to the biblical text and its legacy, and in relation to the theological and ecclesial setting of today. In these essays collected from her extraordinary career, Schüssler Fiorenza attempts to free both biblical studies and theology from disciplinary constraints and assumptions that have allowed them to acquiesce and even perpetuate forms of oppression—from racism and poverty to colonialism and gender equality.
While Schüssler Fiorenza’s feminist critical approach begins with the experience of women, that experience is appropriated through the lens of critical theory and a critical understanding of social and religious oppressions. It is, further, political in its aim to dethrone kyriarchal structures and foment genuinely egalitarian community in church and society.
Table of Contents
- Part I. Charting Critical Feminist Biblical Hermeneutics
- pp. 23-24
- 9. The Power of Empire and the Rhetoric of Scripture
- pp. 155-168
- Download |
- Part II. Practicing Feminist Biblical Interpretation
- pp. 169-170