Commentary on the Lord’s Sermon on the Mount with Seventeen Related Sermons
Publication Year: 2010
Published by: The Catholic University of America Press
Title Page, Copyright
THE COMMENTARY presented in translation in this volume is one of fourteen works composed by St. Augustine1 during the period...
COMMENTARY ON THE LORD'S SERMON ON THE MOUNT
IF ANYONE piously and earnestly ponders the Discourse which Our Lord Jesus Christ delivered on the Mount -as we read in the Gospel...
AFTER MERCY, comes the cleansing of the heart. With a treatment of the former, the first book came to a close; with a treatment...
RETRACTIONS: Book I: Chapter 19
DURING THE SAME PERIOD of time,' I wrote two volumes on The Lord's Sermon on the Mount, according to Matthew. Concerning the pronouncement, 'Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall...
53. ON THE BEATITUDES
ON THE OCCASION of the feast of a holy virgin who has given testimony of ChrIst and who has merIted to receive testimony...
54. HOW TO 'LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE BEFORE MEN'
( 1) In the Sermon related in the Gospel, our Lord Jesus Christ says in one passage...
55. ON TAMING THE TONGUE
( 1) If we have faith, we have been greatly alarmed by the section of the holy Gospel to which we have just now listened while it was being read. But it occasioned no fea~ in those who have no faith. Because...
56. ON THE LORD'S PRAYER
( 1) When the holy Apostle wished to show that the Prophets had foretold the coming of those times when it should come to pass that all nations would believe in God, he cited the testimony which reads...
60. ON ALMSGIVING
( 1) Every man who is unequal to the task of extricating himself from a distressful situation in which he finds himself tries to find some prudent...
61. ON ALMSGIVING
( 1) In the pasage of the Holy Gospel which has been read to us,t the Lord exhorts us to pray. He says: 'Ask, and you shall receive; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you...
72. ON ALMSGIVING
(1) The Lord Jesus Christ has admonished us to be good trees, and to be able to bear good fruit, for He says: 'Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for by its fruit...
94. THE SLOTHFUL SERVANT
Their Lordships, my brethren and fellow bishops, have deigned to visit us and to gladden us by their presence, but I know not why they are unwilling to aid me, although I am fatigued. Dearly beloved...
109. THE ADVERSARY
( 1) We have heard the Gospel,l and therein we have heard the Lord rebuking those who 'know how to judge the face of...
346. ON LIFE'S PILGRIMAGE
( 1) Beloved brethren, let us join in recalling that the Apostle has said: 'As long as we are in the body we are exiles from the Lord, for we walk by faith...
4 (Denis). CHRIST: LAMB AND LION
(1) In fulfillment of Holy Writ, the Truth has resounded through the voice of the Apostles, for the Psalmist has sung: 'Their voice has gone forth...
5 (Denis). LIFE FROM DEATH
(1) Paying attention to the Gospel lesson which has been read, we have heard the account of the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ...
6 (Denis). THE HOLY EUCHARIST
( 1) Dear brethren, that which you see on the Lord's table is bread and wine. But when a word is added, that bread and wine become the body and blood...
7 (Denis). SONSHIP OR SERVITUDE
1) Everybody knows that we are celebrating the feast of the Pasch during the days when we sing the Alleluia. But, brethren, we must try to understand...
8 (Denis). ON BAPTISM
( 1) My words are addressed to you, newborn babes, little ones in Christ, new offspring of the Church, grace of the Father, born of the Mother...
13 (Denis). CHRIST: THE GLORY OF MARTYRS
( 1) Because of the weariness of our audience, this discourse ought to be omitted, but for the sake of honoring the martyr it must be delivered...
11 (Morin). ON THE BEATITUDES
1) Dearly beloved, you have joined with us in listening to the reading of the Holy Gospel. May the Lord assist us while we address you on the portion that has been read, in order that our words may be appropriate...
Page Count: 388
Publication Year: 2010
OCLC Number: 647047324
MUSE Marc Record: Download for Commentary on the Lord’s Sermon on the Mount with Seventeen Related Sermons