Zooplankton play a vital role in the ecology of estuaries and coastal waters. In this revised edition of Johnson and Allen's instant classic, we are offered a guided tour of zooplankton, including early developmental stages of familiar shrimps, crabs, and fishes.
Zooplankton of the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts details the behavior, morphology, and coloration of these tiny aquatic animals. Precise descriptions and labeled illustrations of hundreds of the most commonly encountered species provide readers with the best source available for identifying zooplankton.
Inside the second edition
• an updated introduction that orients readers to the diversity, habitats, environmental responses, collection, history, and ecological roles of zooplankton
• descriptions of life cycles
• illustrations (including 88 new drawings) that identify 340 + taxa and life stages
• range, habits, and ecology for each entry located directly opposite the illustration
• appendixes with information on collection and observation techniques and suggested readings and citations for more than 1,300 scientific articles and books