Frontmatter

pdf iconDownload PDF
 

Title Page, Copyright, Dedication

pdf iconDownload PDF
 

Contents

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. vii-viii

read more

Acknowledgments

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. ix-xi

When Father Jerome Flanagan looked to find a fitting mascot for the athletic teams at St. Benedict’s Prep in 1924, he settled on a bee because ‘‘a bee, with all its concentrated activity, just about symbolized the St. Benedict’s...

read more

Introduction: Downtown Monks and the Miracle on High Street

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 1-6

Just outside of downtown Newark, New Jersey, sits an abbey and a school. For more than 150 years Benedictine monks have lived, worked, and prayed on High Street, a once-grand thoroughfare of Victorian mansions, churches...

read more

1. Newark’s Forgotten Riot

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 7-17

The miracle on High Street actually began on William Street. On September 5, 1854, three thousand men, most of them wearing Prince Albert coats, round felt hats, and red sashes slung over their shoulders, paraded through the streets...

read more

2. ‘‘Necessary, Useful, and Beautiful’’: Founding Fathers and a Catholic Day College, 1868–1900

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 18-35

It was a family school from the start. John and William McGurk, teenage sons of poor Irish Catholic immigrants, walked to school each morning from their home in a predominantly Irish working-class neighborhood of Newark...

read more

3. The Making of a Modern Catholic Prep School, 1900–1926

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 36-60

Some students called it the ‘‘pickle factory,’’ but the new four-story facility was one of the best school buildings in the state when it was completed in September 1910. Boasting three floors of classrooms, modern science laboratories...

read more

4. St. Benedict’s Prep from Depression to War, 1926–1945

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 61-81

When Paul Healy and John Kling entered St. Benedict’s Prep as freshmen in the fall of 1929, they had already known heartache and hardship. Paul’s father died when he was only two years old, and when his mother became...

read more

5. The Duke, Divine Comedy, and Discipline at St. Benedict’s Prep

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 82-107

Bells ordered the day for Father Dunstan Smith. By the mid-1950s, the bells of St. Mary’s Church, rebuilt in the aftermath of the 1854 Know- Nothing riot, had been pealing through her High Street neighborhood for close to a century...

read more

6. Benedict’s Hates a Quitter: Athletics at a Catholic Prep School

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 108-133

Jimmy ‘‘Jiggs’’ Donahue’s last-minute hardwood heroics not only secured his school’s first state prep basketball championship, it triggered a sequence of events that forever changed athletics at St. Benedict’s Prep. In a ‘‘clash of speed...

read more

7. ‘‘He Was Afraid of the City’’: Abbot Patrick, the Monastic Family, and Postwar Newark, 1945–1967

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 134-155

In the months before the end of World War II, Abbot Patrick O’Brien appointed a committee to plan for the building of ‘‘a new and greater St. Benedict’s, to be located in Newark, N.J.’’ On four separate occasions in the 1940s, the monks...

read more

8. ‘‘Camelot Is Dead’’: The Newark Riots and the Closing of St. Benedict’s Prep, 1967–1972

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 156-189

On hot summer days in the city, the downtown monks loved to go to ‘‘Tin Beach.’’ After climbing a dark, narrow staircase and ducking under a half door, the monks stepped onto the tin roof of the school building...

read more

9. ‘‘A Possible School’’: The Resurrection of St. Benedict’s Prep, 1972–1977

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 190-223

‘‘There were guys who said the ship was sinking, and they bailed out,’’ recalled one monk.1 Having just lost fourteen ‘‘brothers’’ to the abbey in Morristown, the monks in Newark walked around a half-empty monastery and a completely...

read more

10. The Headmaster and the Street, 1977–1986

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 224-253

For the last three decades ‘‘the hand’’ has gone up at St. Benedict’s Preparatory School. Like clockwork, at eight in the morning a young man strides to the center of Shanley Gymnasium and raises his right hand straight in the air...

read more

Conclusion

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 254-257

The shadow from the cross high above St. Mary’s starts early in the morning near where William Street and Springfield Avenue meet. Father Edwin Leahy once walked to that corner of the abbey’s property in the mid-1980s and looked...

Notes

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 259-301

Index

pdf iconDownload PDF

pp. 303-322