Collations on the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Publication Year: 2008
Published by: Franciscan Institute Publications
Title Page, Copyright
Table of Contents
In approaching the texts contained in this volume it is important to keep in mind what is meant by the term collation in the context of medieval literature. It is clear that it designates some sort of public presentation. But at least in the case of the collations contained in this volume, we are...
Conference I: An Introductory Treatment of Grace: according to its Origin, Use, and Fruit
1. “We exhort you not to receive the grace of God in vain.”1 “Grace has poured out upon your lips. Therefore, God has blessed you forever.”2 The second text refers to our Lord, Jesus Christ. This becomes clear from the verse of the Psalm that immediately precedes it and from the verse that follows it. In the preceding verse of Psalm 44 the following...
Conference II: The Gift of Fear of the Lord
1. “Come, children, listen to me. I will teach you the fear of the Lord.”1 “Listen in silence, and good grace will come to you because of your reverence.”2 This last statement is written in Sirach where the Wise Man urges the good listener to hear the word of God in silence and with reverence,...
Conference III: The Gift of Piety
1. “Train yourself in piety. For while bodily exercise is valuable in a limited way, piety is valuable1 in all ways since it has the promise of the present life as well as for the life that is to come.” These words come from 1 Timothy 4:7-8 where the Apostle points out two types of exercise that are...
Conference IV: The Gift of Knowledge
1. “God, who told the light to shine out of the darkness, has shone1 in our hearts to give enlightenment concerning the knowledge of the splendor of God shining on the face of Christ Jesus.”2...
Conference V: First Conference on the Gift of Fortitude
1. “Who will find a valiant woman? Her value is far beyond the farthest coasts…. She has sought wool and flax, and has worked with the skill of her hands.”1
Conference VI: Second Conference on the Gift of Fortitude
1. “Who shall find a valiant woman?” etc.1 “Pray for us, for2 you are a holy woman.”3 The latter text is what the priests said to Judith. And it can serve as our word to that most glorious Virgin who is full of holiness and grace that she might...
Conference VII: On the Gift of Counsel
1. “Who shall find a valiant woman?” etc.1 “Where is wisdom found? And where is the place of understanding? Human beings know nothing of its worth, nor is it found in the land of those who live with delights.”2 Job asks the question where...
Conference VIII: The Gift of Understanding
1. “I will bless the Lord who has given me understanding.”1 “A wise person who listens will become wiser, and the person who understands has a sound rudder.”2 In the second text Solomon shows that it is useful to hear the word of God. The reason is that a person who understands...
Conference IX: On the Gift of Wisdom
1. “If you have risen with Christ, seek the things that are above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Taste the things that are above, not the things that are on the earth.”1...
Page Count: 222
Publication Year: 2008
Volume Title: Volume 14
MUSE Marc Record: Download for Collations on the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit