- The Network
Announcements from the Leonardo Community
Sign up to receive our biweekly e-newsletter for the latest in Leonardo/ISAST news, as well as announcements and opportunities of interest to the art/science community, at <leonardo.info/sign-up>.
To submit an opportunity or announcement, visit <leonardo.info/opportunities>.
LEONARDO'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY GLOBAL EVENTS
Starting mid-2017, we invite you to participate in our 18-month-long celebration of Leonardo's 50th anniversary. A half-century ago, kinetic artist and astronautical pioneer Frank Malina set out to meet the needs of artists and scientists working across disciplines by using the "new media" of the time, offset print publishing. Leonardo represented a unique vision that served as an international channel of communication among artists, with emphasis on the writings of artists using science and developing technologies in their work.
Today documenting and capturing the creative innovators and provocateurs of culture is not enough. If media is the messenger, then Leonardo must expand its scope to represent the unique works and challenges we face in the 21st century. As a network of networks, Leonardo is reimagining the next 50 years. We invite you to come along with us on this journey of rediscovery and reinvention and to join us at the following 50th anniversary events in 2017:
• 11–18 June 2017: International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA), Manizales, Colombia. "Next Fifty," chaired by Felipe C. Londono, Symposium Director.
• 22 June 2017: Laboratório de Arte Eletrônica at PUCRio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Chaired by Rejane Spitz Laboratório/Núcleo de Arte Eletrônica; Departamento de Artes & Design | PUC-Rio sponsored by NVDIA.
• 3–6 July 2017: art*science, Bologna, Italy. "The New and History," chaired by Pier Luigi Capucci in collaboration with La Comunicazione Diffusa Associazione Culturale.
• 21–23 August 2017: Balance-Unbalance, Plymouth, United Kingdom. "Overview," convened by Mike Phillips and Ricardo dal Ferra, supported by the Eden project.
• Fall 2017: Milieux, Concordia University, Montréal, Quebec, Canada. Chaired by Bart Simon, Institute Director, and Harry Smoak.
• Fall 2017: Semaphore Research Cluster, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. "First Fifty—Next Fifty," chaired by Matt Ratto, Director, Semaphore, and Adam Tindale, Associate Professor, OCAD.
For more information, visit <leonardo.info/50th-anniversary>.
SCIENTIFIC DELIRIUM MADNESS 2017
Scientific Delirium Madness is a collaborative initiative of Leonardo/ISAST and the Djerassi Resident Artists Program, which is an art/science residency that takes place over the course of four weeks. This year from 28 June–26 July, twelve participants will explore and expand what's possible when six scientists and six artists are connected. For more information, visit <leonardo.info/residencies>.
PARTNERS IN ART AND SCIENCE: BECOME AN AFFILIATE MEMBER!
The Leonardo Affiliate Member Program provides a collaborative environment where leaders from top-ranked universities and independent nonprofits in the cross-disciplinary field of art, science and technology can interface and share best practices, research and opportunities with their peers across institutional boundaries. Visit <leonardo.info/members> for more information.
LEONARDO ART SCIENCE EVENING RENDEZVOUS (LASER) TALKS
LASER is Leonardo/ISAST's international program of evening gatherings in over 20 cities around the world that bring artists and scientists together for informal presentations and conversations. Visit <leonardo.info/laser> for locations and dates. [End Page 438]