A. Day Bradley, a member of Scarsdale Monthly Meeting, is Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Hunter College.
1. Kirk Brown in Bi-Centennial of Brick Meeting-House (Lancaster, 1902), pp. 30-82. The East Nottingham Meetinghouse is known locally as the "Brick." A. Day Bradley, "The Churchmans of Nottingham Lots," Friends Intelligencer, Sixth Month 28, 1952.
2. An account of George Churchman's part in the founding of Westtown is given in "Letter from the Past" No. 101, Friends Intelligencer, Fifth Month 28, 1949. His unpublished journal has been discussed by Henry Cadburyin the New England Quarterly, XXIII (1950), 396-400.
6. "Early Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society . . .Compiled by the Secretaries from the Manuscript Minutes of its Meetings from 1744 to 1838," Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, XXII (1884), 103-104.
14. Ibid., pp. 453, 464. Jeremiah Brown (1750-1831) was a prominent member of Nottingham Monthly Meeting and later of Little Britain Monthly Meeting. In 1823 he built Penn Hill Meetinghouse and gave it to Little Britain Monthly Meeting.
24. Ibid., XIII (1795-96), 14. Churchman's election to the Academy has been noted by Eufrosina Dvoichenko-Markov in "The American Philosophical Society and Early Russian-American Relations," Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, XCIV (1950), 549-610.
25. J. S. Futhey and Gilbert Cope, History of Chester County, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, 1881), p. 498. The accounts of John Churchman in various biographical encyclopedias are evidently based on the account of Futhey and Cope and the writings of James Trimble. The Chester County Historical Society has a letter written by James Trimble to John Parker, Second Month 16, 1884, which gives a biographical sketch of John Churchman. Trimble's manuscript giving an account of many members of Nottingham Monthly Meeting is in the archives of Baltimore Yearly Meeting.
29. The essay and an account of the award of the medal are printed in the Transactions of the Society Instituted at London for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce, XXII (1804), 221-229.